You want a quick, tasty, healthy dinner, you could do much worse than a stir fry. Roasting the red peppers is genius, it really changes the flavour and makes this stir fry all the better for it.
Lemongrass, I have never really thought about lemongrass before. I have used it in cooking, I enjoy the flavour but never gone any further than that. So, when I finally did look into it I was stunned at how amazing it really is. Just a quick glance at the amount of vitamins and minerals it contained was enough to know this member of the grass family was going to have some great health benefits. Some of these benefits include, lowering cholesterol, helping stomach disorders, treating insomnia, aiding respiratory problems, cureing fevers, treating infections. Its good for the nervous system, immune system and cellular growth. I could go on.. Maybe I will in a post dedicated to it.
Anyway back to the stirfry. The steak is tender as you like having been cut thin, it is coated in cornflour before being added to the pan which means it is nice and crisp on the out side. The beans and peppers are crisp and fresh. The brightness and tang of the spring onion wake up your taste buds while the heat from the chilli melts all the flavours together.
What you need
225g Basmati Rice
3x Spring Onion
250g Green Beans
2x Red Pepper
1x Red Chilli
3x Garlic Clove
375g Flank Steak
3Tbsp Soy Sauce
2Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
What you need to do
- Bring 450ml of water to the boil with a pinch of salt. Once it’s boiling add the rice and turn the heat down. Put a lid on the pan and cook for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes take the pan off the heat but leave the lid on until you are ready to serve.
- While the rice cooks, thinly slice the spring onion, discarding the root. Trim the ends off of the green beans. After removing the core from the pepper chop it into 2cm chunks. Deseed and finely chop the chilli. Finally, peel and grate or press the garlic. Cut the bottom off of the lemongrass and remove a couple of layers. Now using the base of a pan smash it up a bit, then chop it up as finely as possible.
- Cut the steak into thin strips. Toss in a bowl with the cornflour. Heat some oil in a pan. When it is really hot, gently place the steak in the pan. Brown it in the pan for a few minutes then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan, heat up some oil on a medium-high heat. Now add the whites of the spring onions, the garlic, lemongrass and as much of the chilli as you like. cook it all for a couple of minutes and then add the green beans and pepper. After 5 minutes add the soy sauce, white wine vinegar and the steak. Stir it all together for a couple of minutes.
- Separate the rice with a fork and split it out into bowls. Spoon over the stir-fry and then top with the green parts of the spring onion.