An amazingly tasty and super easy Biryani. A few tweaks by the team at HelloFresh and it’s now super easy.
I loved this dish, there was so much flavour. I am sure using chunks of lamb rather than lamb mince would be more traditional and change the whole makeup of the dish. The mince though really imparts that beautiful flavour throughout without being lost amongst the spices and herbs.
An ingredient of note here is the Poudre de Columbo, a fantastic spice mix that originated in india and was taken to the west indies in the 19th century where it became increasingly popular. The defining flavour in this mix is toasted rice, it naturaly thickens the sauce and gives it a unique toasted flavour.
Vine tomatoes and Mange Tout burst through adding a freshness and contrast the heady aromatic spices. Mint and coriander add an extra layer of flavour while the yogurt smooths and calms all the flavours, bringing them together to make a fantastic mid week curry.
What to do
- Boil 450ml of water in a panwith a dash of salt. Add the rice and turn the heat down to low. Pop a lid on the pan and leave to simmer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes turn the heat off but leave the lid on for a further 10 minutes. The rice will finish cooking in its own steam.
- The onion – chop it, thin half moons will do nicely. The Garlic – Crush it or finely grate it. The tomatoes – Chop them into 2cm chunks.
- Heat a dash of oil in a pan on medium to low heat, add the onion and cook until softened, around 5 minutes. Once softened add the Poudre de Colombo and the garlic.
- Turn up the heat a bit and add the lamb mince and a pinch of salt. Once browned add the mange tout and tomato. Put a lid on the pan and cook for 5 minutes, add a little water if you think it is looking a bit dry. Take of the heat and stir in the mint and coriander (leave a small amount of each to sprinkle over at the end).
- Fluff up your rice and put a layer into your bowls. Spoon over your biryani and top it off with a dollop of the natural yoghurt. Sprinkle over the remaining herbs and tuck in.
This meal is from our HelloFresh box. Check them out here www.hellofresh.co.uk